Root 3D Printing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrade printhead to do ABS on standard Root 3DGP printer?

4 posters

Go down

Upgrade printhead to do ABS on standard Root 3DGP printer? Empty Upgrade printhead to do ABS on standard Root 3DGP printer?

Post by circuitburner Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Curious that I find few if any mentions about printing with ABS or other materials with a Root 3DGP printer.
Do I need to obtain a different print head to do ABS?
Or can the standard one also melt ABS?
I do notice that I can raise the temperature quite a few degrees on the stock standard print head (extruder).
Also, is ABS more durable, or less-biodegradable?
Thanks in advance for any info gleaned.

circuitburner

Back to top Go down

Upgrade printhead to do ABS on standard Root 3DGP printer? Empty Re: Upgrade printhead to do ABS on standard Root 3DGP printer?

Post by ModernGnome Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:57 am

The same print head will work, with a temperature around 230-235C. ABS sticks moderately well to blue tape, and can be made to stick to glass with the use of "slurry". (See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Usually, a heated bed is recommended for ABS due to its tendency to shrink (about 6%) when cooling. So, you'll have the best results printing ABS items with a relatively small base to minimize the warping caused by this inevitable shrinkage. Yes, ABS is more durable (although not particularly weather-resistant) and less biodegradable. The fumes when printing are also much stinkier and somewhat toxic. Use adequate ventilation.

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Upgrade printhead to do ABS on standard Root 3DGP printer? Empty Re: Upgrade printhead to do ABS on standard Root 3DGP printer?

Post by Asphalt Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 am

You could also build a heated cabinet to print in. Which is actually recommended for all ABS printing from what I have read.

Asphalt
Admin

https://rootprinting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jetstreamblue Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:48 pm

I've had a lot of trouble getting ABS prints not to warp, even with the heated bed of the Root Plus. That heated cabinet may be a good idea.
I've basically stuck with PLA except for anything that I would leave in the car.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:35 am

It might be worth trying some low-warp ABS, such as this "Smart ABS" from Orbi-Tech: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down