Root 3D Printing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happened to early claims of '100 microns' resolution?

3 posters

Go down

What happened to early claims of '100 microns' resolution? Empty What happened to early claims of '100 microns' resolution?

Post by ModernGnome Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:32 am

As most Root owners now know, the Germinate software provides only 0.20 and 0.30 mm extruder output resolutions. However, during the (relaunch) Kickstarter campaign, GP3D stated otherwise. I quote: "We've partnered up with a factory based overseas to help us build our printer. We took a prebuilt platform and stripped out the internals and rebuilt it from the ground up. We've spend the last 6 months working on this printer with our factory making changes. Although the exterior shell may look similar, the internals of the printer are different. Key features of our Root is an upgraded extruder able to print down to 100 microns. An updated print plate along with customized clips and lastly upgraded software, Germinate, to make usage of our printer easier." 

As far as I can tell, the final product has exactly the same 0.18 mm maximum resolution of the Weistek Ideawerk's Doraware software, upon which Germinate is clearly based. Has anybody ever heard from GP3D about why the "upgraded" resolution claims apparently ended up as vaporware?

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

What happened to early claims of '100 microns' resolution? Empty Re: What happened to early claims of '100 microns' resolution?

Post by archclan Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:22 pm

i would love this as well! we need 100 microns on some detailed prints

archclan

Back to top Go down

What happened to early claims of '100 microns' resolution? Empty Re: What happened to early claims of '100 microns' resolution?

Post by ModernGnome Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:20 am

I did produce a print that was at 0.10 mm (100 microns) layer height using a modified version of Makerware (as detailed in the "Hack Makerware" thread in the Tips and Tricks forum) and I posted a picture of it in the "Finished Prints" forum. It is clearly almost double the resolution of the .18 mm print I did for comparison. So I conclude that it's a (lazy?) software design decision, not a hardware limitation.

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by Asphalt Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:16 am

As far as I know it was a software limitation. Perhaps if there is ever an update.

Asphalt
Admin

https://rootprinting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum