Root 3D Printing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Few Questions

3 posters

Go down

A Few Questions Empty A Few Questions

Post by PolarBear211 Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:36 am

Greeting all,

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer. Perhaps others are wondering the same thing.

1. How can I stop reduce strings/hairs on prints? Noticing this a lot with black PLA from GP3D. Settings 225c and bed at 65c.
2. Raft is sometimes hard to remove from print itself. Is z-axis calibration thing or a temp setting? Using Germinate 1.1 for slicing
3. To use another slicer, I see the forum posts but just so I understand... I dont actually change anything in the printer firmware do i?
Just the slicer program to generate gcode?
4. What slicer do you recommend for the Root Plus? .wtk format
5. Do you remove\clear your filament from nozzle after every print (if not printing again for a day or so)?
6. What are your recommended filaments(brands) for printing with the Root.
7. Any other helpful suggestions?

Thanks
Nick

PolarBear211

Back to top Go down

A Few Questions Empty Re: A Few Questions

Post by jetstreamblue Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Don't have answers to all of your questions, but my experience on some...

(2) I don't think it's a calibration thing, the raft simply has a lot of contact area if your model has a flat bottom. I sliced a finger removing a raft with a knife, I'm now more careful.

(5) I normally try to remove the filament after every print, unless I know I'm printing another thing very soon. I tend to switch between filaments anyways (colors and type). You shouldn't leave filament out in the open because it absorbs moisture. You should store filament in an airtight bag with the desiccant.

(6) I've had good luck with Hatchbox PLA (cheapest filament on Amazon.com) and Seacans PLA/ABS (cheapest filament I can find in Canada). Yes, I'm using the cheapest stuff I can find, but they seem to work fine so I don't have a reason to look for more expensive stuff so far.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:19 am

Here's my shot at answers to your questions:
(1) and (2) I'd say temp might be a little too high, which can lead to stringing and raft removal issues. But black PLA is sometimes an issue due to all the colorants they have to add to make it black and opaque. (PLA is naturally a semi-transparent milky off-white color.) See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
3) Definitely not. As a matter of fact, using the update firmware command in ReplicatorG or MakerWare would break your printer more or less permanently. (At the very least, you would need a file from GP3D that they have not released publicly and may not even have.) 
4) Germinate 1.1, all things considered.
5) I do not. But I keep the unit indoors in a well-insulated house, so it's not too damp here. Jetstreamblue is correct about the moisture absorption, desiccant and benefits of airtight storage. It is definitely best practice.
6) I also use filaments from Seacans.com with pretty good results at $22/Kg. I've been generally pleased with PLA from filaments.ca and revolutionprinters.com as well, both of which are around $30/Kg.

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum