Tip: prevent clogs on repetitive jobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tip: prevent clogs on repetitive jobs

Post by ModernGnome on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:21 am

My trusty Root printer is performing like a real workhorse these days, as I've been using it to print literally hundreds of custom figurines for a dealer to sell.
One thing I've noticed is that when you print/remove model/print/remove model...[repeat many times] that sometimes the filament makes a sort of plug shape in the hot end that can cause a jam. It's easy to fix, of course -- reverse the filament out of the liquifier, snip off the plug, and reinsert it. However, I've found a better way when printing via USB (which I have come to prefer, actually): Immediately after the print bed lowers and the "print is complete" dialog appears on your computer screen, open the manual controls and reverse the filament for about three seconds. This backs it out of the hot end area just enough so that it doesn't melt into a plug. Then, click the print button. The 10-second prime operation wastes less filament this way, too.

By the way, in case you've ever been frustrated when the program can't reconnect to the printer if you've turned off the Root while the program is active, there's a simple solution for that, too: click the Disconnect button *before* turning off the printer.

ModernGnome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tip: prevent clogs on repetitive jobs

Post by Asphalt on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:35 pm

I do that with mine.

Asphalt
Admin

View user profile http://rootprinting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top