How do you store your filament?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you store your filament?

Post by Asphalt on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:25 am

It has often been said that humidity is bad for filament. So how do you store yours? I have started keeping mine in a rice bin. I figured if it works on smartphones it should work for PLA right?

I need to get a piece of window screen to put on top of the rice. It is annoying when it gets inside the center hole on the roll.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This particular bin was $4.00 at walmart and is deep enough to stack two rolls deep.

Asphalt
Admin

View user profile http://rootprinting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you store your filament?

Post by gpiffle on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 am

I. A bit more sloppy.
I put the filament back in its bag with the desiccant and tape it closed. I live in Florida with our high humidity, and only ever had issues with one spool on my delta printer... I had left the spool on the printer for two weeks.
The Root printer seems to be more forgiving, and a spool left on the spindle for 3 weeks still prints just fine.

gpiffle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:49 am

I was sitting next to my Root printer the other day when the filament suddenly broke off at the filament guide of the (idle) printer. Very surprising -- but not a huge problem of course. I do wish the Root firmware had a filament change option, though.

ModernGnome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gpiffle on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:40 am

Ya... I'm getting the Palate which will allow me to print more than one color without having to do the fudging I've done on some of my prints.
to change color or filament, you snip the filament off with enough lead to load the next spool on and thread it through, then as the old feeds in, you feed in the new right behind it.
Not very precise.

gpiffle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top