Root 3D Printing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FLEKS3D Build Plate

3 posters

Go down

FLEKS3D Build Plate Empty FLEKS3D Build Plate

Post by jetstreamblue Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Anybody have experience with FLEKS3D? I read good things about it, so I'm hopeful I can be rid of blue tape and hair spray finally. Supposed to work with ABS without a heated bed too, for those with the base Root model. We'll see...

Anyway, they have a new KS on right now. I already put in my pledge, it's $15 (+shipping, $12 to Canada) for the 6" x 6" that fits our Root. They're having a cyber Monday special that gives you an extra plate for free if you get a referral.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fleks3d/fleks3d-makes-your-3d-printer-better

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

FLEKS3D Build Plate Empty Re: FLEKS3D Build Plate

Post by Asphalt Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:59 am

i dropped a pledge. we shall see.

Asphalt
Admin

https://rootprinting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jetstreamblue Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 am

If it works anything like what they claim it should be well worth it. My last ABS print came out completely warped. The hairspray held the print perfectly to the blue tape... but the blue tape let go from the glass plate Sad

Anyway, if you don't have a referral already, we can fill each other's name out at the end and we'll each supposedly get an extra plate for free.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Asphalt Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:04 am

Absolutely, When will we be asked to put in a referral name?

Asphalt
Admin

https://rootprinting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jetstreamblue Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:07 am

There's supposed to be a question on the backer survey at the end of the campaign. We'll make sure to trade our real names to put in then.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:35 am

It's important to understand the thermal properties of ABS to understand why it warps -- and why FLEKS3D is unlikely to be a panacea. ABS shrinks approximately 6% as it cools. This is what causes the warping, and that is why a heated bed (or, even better, a heated build chamber) is the ONLY solution that really solves the warping issue. Basically, you have to prevent it from cooling until there enough layers laid down that the *unavoidable* shrinkage causes the base layers to lift and warp. So, set your expectations accordingly, or use one of the newer blended "SmartABS" types that promise reduced shrinkage. PET filament, by the way, has virtually no warpage and no smell, yet is strong like stinky old ABS.

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by jetstreamblue Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:45 am

Yes, I've definitely suffered from the shrinkage of ABS as nothing comes out the right size and I have to scale up accordingly. Oddly though, everyone complains about the smell of ABS, but I can't really smell anything when printing (maybe I just have a bad nose). I try to avoid ABS but anything I need to put in my car can't use PLA due to high temp stability. I'll look into PET.

Anyway, I will keep my expectations of the FLEKS3D as at least a good plate for PLA. Since I have a Root Plus, I can still just use my heated plate for ABS when needed.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by jetstreamblue Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Finally received my FLEKS3D plate today from the Kickstarter. First of all, it happens to be exactly the same thickness as the glass plate that comes with the Root Plus. So after calibrating, my z-value was actually exactly the same.
The clips it comes with are very large, I'm not sure I'll use them. The FLEKS3D plate works with the stock clips on our printer, but I hate those tight clips, still looking for alternatives.
Anyways, tried a small test print with PLA. As promised, print stuck to the surface nice and tight without any tape or hairspray. After the print was done, gave the plate a couple of twists (it's very tight, much tighter than I expected), and the print popped off. So far so good!

Will try with ABS when I get a chance. That would be the real test. But regardless, from my quick experience with PLA so far, it's already worth the money.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by jetstreamblue Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:00 am

Okay, tried the FLEKS3D with ABS. As might be expected, no good. I had the heated bed at 55 deg C (they recommend 60 deg C max), and it came unstuck after a few layers.
I'm going to try to spray some hairspray on it and try again. At least the flexible plate makes it easier to get the print off, assuming I can get it to stick.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down