Root 3D Printing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Platform Falling Down Suddenly

5 posters

Go down

Platform Falling Down Suddenly Empty Platform Falling Down Suddenly

Post by ModernGnome Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:37 am

Problem: You can connect to the printer while it is printing from SD, but when you disconnect, the printer resets (with the platform falling down).
Solution: For higher reliability, leave the printer unconnected if you plan to print from SD.

Attribution: Dabba Doo, groups.google.com/d/msg/octoprint/TIzR6dK7Kok/sYALCIoUQ5EJ

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Platform Falling Down Suddenly Empty Re: Platform Falling Down Suddenly

Post by Asphalt Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:39 am

I have heard that was common, but not something I have experienced. When I was printing from the card I had not yet gotten my printer to connect to the computer so that was never an issue.

Asphalt
Admin

https://rootprinting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:04 pm

It's more of a tactic than a bug, I think. If the printer detects a disconnect (which would cause a USB print to fail), it immediately aborts and unlocks the steppers, causing the platform to fall. This is preferable to leaving the hot end sizzling away in the last "connected" position, which would ruin the model.

If a print is interrupted, it's possible to (a) remove the incomplete print from the bed, cut the digital model on the Z axis in a tool like Netfabb (or Meshmixer or Microsoft 3D Builder, etc.) at that point and just print the missing top section, then glue the parts together, or (b) if you're really feeling clever, leave the incomplete print on the bed, count the layers, go into the GCODE, find the place where the print was interrupted and edit the GCODE to continue from that point. (I prefer glue, personally.)

By the way, you cannot add a little rubber bumper to the bottom channel of the Root, where the bar would hit during one of these falls. It causes the startup process to fail, rather noisily.

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by gpiffle Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:29 pm

I wanted to print 3 of a model that takes up too much build space to print all 3 at once.
So I used Germinate to create the WTK file, put it on the thumb drive and inserted it into the printer.
First print - flawless.
Second print - after heating up, the platform drops 3 inches and the printer begins printing... on thin air.
ruined print, naturally.
restart - same drop issue
turn off Printer and let it cool down.
turn on - start the print - same drop issue.
Turn off Printer and let it cool down.
take out thumb drive
Turn printer on and insert the thumb drive - select the print - same drop issue.
re-copy the WTK file from the PC to the thumb drive after deleting it - same drop issue.
rename the file and then copy it to the thumb drive - first print is good - all after that get the drop issue.

This has to be a problem that the printer is causing. If it was the thumb drive, then deleting and recopying would not cause an issue, nor would deleting it and copying the renamed file correct the issue (temporarily).

gpiffle

Back to top Go down

Post by jetstreamblue Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:18 pm

@gpiffle Have you checked the calibration setting when generating the .wtk and also on the printer itself?  The platform will drop if it goes too high and hits the upper stop. Maybe you're right on the edge.

jetstreamblue

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:07 am

I sent Joseph Wu at GP3D a question about this issue, but he hasn't responded yet. There are some threads on Google forums about issues pertaining to "marginal Mightyboard SD." https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/makerbot/y7x8mBZile4

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by gpiffle Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:11 am

jetstreamblue wrote:@gpiffle Have you checked the calibration setting when generating the .wtk and also on the printer itself?  The platform will drop if it goes too high and hits the upper stop.  Maybe you're right on the edge.
they are both set to 143.7  and it only seems to happen on complicated geometries

ModernGnome wrote:I sent Joseph Wu at GP3D a question about this issue, but he hasn't responded yet. There are some threads on Google forums about issues pertaining to marginal Mightyboard SD groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/makerbot/y7x8mBZile4
Hope they get it fixed.. don't know if it's my issue or not...But I just spent 2 hours with the model... inspiration told me to look for manifold edges.  There were several where the supports provided by the original maker had open holes and even crossed edges.
hopefully that will fix my issue.

gpiffle

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:53 am

Germinate definitely tends to fail in interesting ways when geometries are too complex for the available memory (4GB on this particular machine). I used it to slice a fairly large Pencil Holder to print in T-Glase and it printed the first two layers then went clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-[rapidly and continuously] and the nozzle just stayed in one place and burned a big hole in the model. Yikes. 

I'm going to move my slicing efforts to a system with more memory and see if that improves things.

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by gpiffle Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 am

I had other prints fall down now... simple and small ones.
I have found that when that happens:
1) stop the print
2) clear the glass
3) start the print
4) put a finger under the bar
5) when you hear the "clunk" you can remove the finger and the printer will complete the printing.

I don't think it's the model or the gcode/WTK file.
It must be the printer firmware.

gpiffle

Back to top Go down

Post by ModernGnome Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:53 pm

What do you mean by "put a finger under the bar"? Are you applying pressure to the bar that moves up and down on the Z axis? What is causing the clunk?

ModernGnome

Back to top Go down

Post by gpiffle Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:19 pm

The clunk is the sound it makes when it drops... and yes, I'm putting my finger under the Z axis bar - but not putting any pressure on it at all... I can feel it release and catch and hear a softer clunk.. probably because nothing is dropping at that point.

gpiffle

Back to top Go down

Post by jmsgomes Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:47 am

FWIW, I was having the exact same issue and contacted GP3D support. They were helpful (but sometimes slow to respond).
I sent in video of the issue, which was diagnosed (by a tech in China, I think) as a board issue, so my original unit was RMA'd back to GP3D and I got a replacement unit, which works fine.

jmsgomes

Back to top Go down

Post by gpiffle Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:03 am

It hasn't happened in a while, but I've been printing only my own models. will see what happens when I try some more from thingiverse

gpiffle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down